Tuesday, 17 July 2012

First Wobbly Steps...

Our 12 month old daughter Olivia has today become a fully fledged walker. Above is a picture of her walking from my mum to her eldest brother Josh...his arms outstretched to embrace her when she reaches him. She looks OH SO CUTE and screeches in delight as her adoring audience applaud her and wait in anticipation to see how many steps she'll take on "this go!"
It's such a huge milestone in a little persons life...one that we often take for granted as adults who rush around barely recognising the miracle of being able to stand solidly on two feet...

This picture fills me with joy - simply because it's my biggest baby and my youngest baby... celebrating a joyous moment in life together...I mean look at her little face...happy...delighted...secure in knowing her big brother is right there ready to cuddle her whether she fails or succeeds in reaching him on her feet...
But it also fills me with Joy because it made me think of how God is with us...His children who He delights in whether we stumble or succeed...whether we reach out to Him in delight, our feet firmly on solid ground...or whether we reach out to Him in despair...on our hands and knees..

When was the last time you really thought about where your steps are taking you? When was the last time you reached out to God whether in delight or despair? When was the last time you felt that you just couldn't take those first few wobbly steps into something new because the destination seemed too far away and daunting?

A scripture came to mind whilst these thoughts were milling round my head:
Psalm 84:11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

I don't claim to be an expert scripture translator, but to me this verse simply says, in good times and bad, God is our sun and our shield.... He brightens our circumstances, He Lights the way, He protects us from the evil ones plans. He wants to share His Grace and Glory - His Kindness, Goodness and Love, so that we can show each of these to the people He puts in our lives... He wants to bring nothing but good to those who walk uprightly with Him - those who are doing life seeking Gods Guidance, claiming His Word and Promises over their lives!
No matter what life throws at us, there comes a time in our Spiritual journey where we have to scoop ourselves off the ground, stand tall and walk uprightly with God. Again, this may not be a physical act, but it should be an emotional and mental one...as babies grow and develop into toddlers...preschoolers...school children...teenagers...adults, so we too must continue on the plight to grow in our wisdom and faith in God...we can't do it ourselves...that's why we have scriptures such as Psalm 84:11 to dwell on...find strength in...because God has our back...God is guiding those steps!

Just as Olivia had to have the courage to take those first few wobbly steps today away from my mum to Joshua...leaving a secure base to enter unknown territory - we too have to lean on God that He knows our journey, He knows where He's taking us...feeling scared is natural...it's a human response that God understands...but He doesn't want us to stay that way or stay at that secure place when He's calling us into more...He wants to look at Him as our Sun and our Shield and enter that unknown dodgy, wobbly territory and then reach that second secure place...where He's also at! HOW EXCITING...!

I'm beginning to understand more of the personal journey God has me on, the people He wants me to have in my life, the works He's calling me into...some of the dynamics of these things are scary...and all are unknown territory...I can't see into my future, but I can choose to walk uprightly in God...letting Him guide me, teach me, love me, applaud me and then reach His arms out to me and grab me into a big hug.....and so can you.

My prayer for anyone who reads this spur of the moment post is that you today would be able to pick yourself up from the ground and become a fully fledged walker...that today you would choose to enter that unknown territory that Gods calling you into...and you would concentrate on those out-stretched arms that are ready to catch you...whether you stumble at times along the way...whether you succeed...

REMEMBER: There's no such thing as a failure...only a person whose stopped BELIEVING in their POTENTIAL! God has got your back...go see what the journey is He wants to take you on!

Be Blessed :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your thoughts on my writings....please share!